Sugar, salt, spicy jalapeno, and butter? A deathly combination that could send any healthy eater past the popcorn point of no return. I guess I could say that that saving grace is the coconut oil I popped the popcorn in, but let’s get real. If you eat this you are going to fall off the health-food wagon, which I am ok with doing in moderation every once in a while. And if you’re going to eat a salty, sugary, spicy, fatty desert, this is it. It’s the party food of champions and if you bring this to a get together all of your friends will love you forever. Well, they might fain love for some of this popcorn, and for the recipe.
Enough talk. More popcorn.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 2 jalapenos, sliced into rounds
- 6 tablespoons melted butter, optional brown butter
- On medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large pot. When the oil has heated, add the jalapeno slices and infuse the oil for 4-5 minutes. Remove the slices as they become crispy and brown from the shallow fry, set aside.
- Once all of the jalapeno slices have been removed, carefully pour half a cup of unpopped popcorn into the oil and agitate to form one layer in the bottom of the pot. Lid the pot and agitate on the stove as the popcorn pops. The popped popcorn will take on a subtle heat from the jalapeno infused oil. Once it is done popping, transfer popcorn to a large serving bowl and add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste. Stir in the fried jalapeno slices and drizzle with melted butter or brown butter, and enjoy.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small saucepan on medium high heat. Watching and swirling so it doesn’t burn, continue cooking on medium high heat until the butter forms frothy bubbles and the solids separate, about 5 minutes. At this time, the froth will dissipate, and gritty solids will settle to the bottom of the pan. The butter will take on a rich and toffee-like nutty aroma. Set aside and let cool before pouring over popcorn.